Between 2007 and 2013 I used to live and work in Vienna, Austria. Being a photographer there is a completely different experience than being a Paris photographer. For instance, pregnancy belly photoshoots were my most common requested type of photosession. I often had families using my services from lovestory to engagement to wedding to pregnancy to family photos. I saw the life of my clients unfold documenting every special occasion just like a family doctor would document every boo-boo :) After 3 years of shooting in Paris I finally start to fall into the same pattern here and I couldn't be happier.
For this 1 hour pregnancy session we met at Ile de la Cite close to Notre Dame and walked around the empty afternoon streets all the way to Place Dauphine and the opposite tip of the island. After a quick change of clothes we went on exploring the small latin quarter streets from Pont Neuf in the direction of Odeon. Since we didn't want the typical tourist spots in the photos we chose to do the afternoon golden hour time for the session and not sunrise as I usually do for Eiffel Tower view shoots. It's also more comfortable for a mommy-to-be not to wake up super early (as I know so well now on my own example hehe).
Things to consider while planning our own pregnancy shoot:
- Choose whether you would like to have it outdoors like a regular Paris session or indoors in a more private boudoir type of setting
- Having your partner in the photos is not a must as you can see, but ask them anyway - you may be surprised that they secretly also want some photos
- Bring props for your shoot - a pretty lace to tie over your belly, baby shoes, baby shower announcement card, cute tiny clothes
- Wear flat comfortable shoes, especially if you are thinking of walking for a few different photo backgrounds
- Consider ordering a flowy maternity gown from ASOS or SheIn - it would cost you less than 20 euro to look like a princess for your belly photos
- Try to plan the shoot just before your 38th week - you don't want to go from a shoot into delivery, but you want your belly to be at its biggest for photos
- Think about saving cash by booking a "pregnancy + newborn" package (for cute sleeping baby photos it should be done in the first 2 weeks after birth)